A comprehensive guide to help aspiring and professional C++ developers elevate the performance of their apps by allowing them to run faster and consume fewer resources
- Updated to C++20 with completely revised code and more content on error handling, benchmarking, memory allocators, and concurrent programming
- Explore the latest C++20 features including concepts, ranges, and coroutines
- Utilize C++ constructs and techniques to carry out effective data structure optimization and memory management
C++ High Performance, Second Edition guides you through optimizing the performance of your C++ apps. This allows them to run faster and consume fewer resources on the device they’re running on without compromising the readability of your codebase.
The book begins by introducing the C++ language and some of its modern concepts in brief. Once you are familiar with the fundamentals, you will be ready to measure, identify, and eradicate bottlenecks in your C++ codebase. By following this process, you will gradually improve your style of writing code. The book then explores data structure optimization, memory management, and how it can be used efficiently concerning CPU caches.
After laying the foundation, the book trains you to leverage algorithms, ranges, and containers from the standard library to achieve faster execution, write readable code, and use customized iterators. It provides hands-on examples of C++ metaprogramming, coroutines, reflection to reduce boilerplate code, proxy objects to perform optimizations under the hood, concurrent programming, and lock-free data structures. The book concludes with an overview of parallel algorithms.
By the end of this book, you will have the ability to use every tool as needed to boost the efficiency of your C++ projects.
What you will learn
- Write specialized data structures for performance-critical code
- Use modern metaprogramming techniques to reduce runtime calculations
- Achieve efficient memory management using custom memory allocators
- Reduce boilerplate code using reflection techniques
- Reap the benefits of lock-free concurrent programming
- Gain insights into subtle optimizations used by standard library algorithms
- Compose algorithms using ranges library
- Develop the ability to apply metaprogramming aspects such as constexpr, constraints, and concepts
- Implement lazy generators and asynchronous tasks using C++20 coroutines
Who this book is for
If you’re a C++ developer looking to improve the efficiency of your code or just keen to upgrade your skills to the next level, this book is for you.
Table of Contents
- A Brief Introduction to C++
- Essential C++ Techniques
- Analyzing and Measuring Performance
- Data Structures
- Using Ranges and Views
- Memory Management
- Compile-Time Programming
- Essential Utilities
- Proxy Objects and Lazy Evaluation
- Coroutines and Lazy Generators
- Asynchronous Programming with Coroutines
- Parallel STL Algorithms